If you’re missing one or more teeth, you probably don’t need us to tell you how inconvenient it is. Speaking, eating, and smiling can become difficult and even painful if you have gaps in your teeth. But Dr. Guna is ready to give you a solution to replace your missing teeth with dental implants in Chelsea, MA.
Having a missing tooth comes with many disadvantages. Depending on the location of the missing tooth, this can include:
- Not being able to bite down or eat certain foods the same way as before
- Inability to bite down as hard as you used to be able to
- Difficulty cleaning the space, leading to cavities or gum disease near the space of the missing tooth
- Sagging or wrinkled facial skin or muscles as the jaw and tissue around the missing tooth begin to deteriorate over time
Some people live for years with a missing tooth and eventually recognize the need or desire to have the tooth replaced. Others might have tried dentures for a time and are looking for a more permanent solution. Or, you might have lost a tooth only recently but can’t imagine living with a space in your teeth. Whatever your reason and situation, we are here to help you at Dental Health International.
What Exactly are Dental Implants, and Why Should I Consider Getting Them?
Implants are an excellent solution for filling gaps in your teeth with more permanent solutions. Dentures are not for everyone. Some people struggle to deal with their gag reflexes with dentures. Others don’t enjoy the taste of food like they used to with so much of their mouth covered. Dentures can also be a means for infection of other teeth or gums that are healthy because of how they rub against the gums and teeth to trap bacteria.
A dental implant is exactly what it sounds like, an artificial tooth that is embedded directly into your gums and jaw. The metal rod used for dental implants is surgically implanted and then capped with a crown to match the surrounding teeth’ appearance, shape, and natural color. Because it is surgically implanted into the jaw, it gives a natural feel to the bite and is not noticeable in your smile.
Some reasons you might consider dental implants over other options:
- It gives your smile a refreshed look.
- They reinforce the health of your gum and jaws by preventing their decay when a tooth is not present.
- Better alignment across your teeth is possible with an implant, including preventing teeth from crowding into the space left behind by the missing tooth.
- You have healthier gums by eliminating a place in your gums where bacteria could get in and cause damage.
- Your facial muscles stay stronger when the teeth below them remain healthy and in place.
- Your bite may have a renewed strength depending on which tooth you are replacing.
- Dental implants are meant to last for the rest of your life, so you don’t have to worry about having a temporary replacement.
Schedule a Consultation Today
The best way to learn about what makes the most sense for you and understand potential costs is to come and see us. We can look at the space where you have lost teeth or had them extracted and give you options. Sometimes, depending on how long ago you lost the tooth, we might want to have you wait before we do a procedure. Unless it is immediately after you have lost a tooth, the best strategy is to let the gums and jaw adjust to not having a tooth and heal before the new one goes in. This is why some people who come in for extractions plan for an immediate implant. It is not always possible to do so but typically is with proper planning.
Give us a call or set an appointment. We would love to help you fill the spaces in your smile with dental implants that will last for decades to come.